Sunday, September 21, 2014

An Introduction to the "Game"

Hello everyone! My name is Eduardo, and I'm from Venezuela. First of all, I'm going to tell you what this blog will be about. On September 1st I started sending Flings asking for people for their postal codes and countries so that I could make a map containing random people's locations. Because of some people's curiosity, I've decided to post my progress in a blog so that I could share it with everyone. Here is a bit of a better explanation:

Fling is an app that let's you send 140 character messages (like Twitter), a picture that can contain a caption (like Snapchat), or a 6 second long video (like Vine) to up to 50 completely random people in the world. Also, when you receive a Fling, you can reply to the person who sent it and so start a conversation. Now, what I do is send a message asking people to give me their postal code and country, and if they decide to give it to me I add it to the map, then I research about the place and put some information such as county/municipality, state/province/region in a tab.

Why do I do this? This is a question you're probably asking yourself, and my answer is simple... It's fun! :) I've always loved filling maps or completing achievements in games, the feeling of progression has always been very satisfactory to me, and some people agree with me.
I got inspired by a site called Where's George, in which people write the serial code of their banknotes, spend it, and if someone receives it and enter it on the website, you can track the places where the banknote has been. I found it really interesting how people made maps, filling them with the counties where their banknotes have been, filling the states, countries, ZIP codes, etc... However, I can't do this since I don't live in the United States, so I tried to think about some fun way of me being able to fill a map randomly, and that's when my girlfriend read about this app, showed it to me and I thought of what I could do with it.


Also, I've made an about page explaining all of this a bit better, a page including the rules I'm following to do this and a page where you can see the map, as well as some tables and achievements.

Now, so far it's been 3 weeks since I started, so I'll talk to you a bit about my progress so far:
-I've received postal codes from every single continent as of September 18th, the last continent being Asia, and the postal code being sent from India.
-So far, I've received 85 postal codes from 20 different countries!
-Over half of these postal codes have been sent from USA, UK and Australia.
-Almost 5% of these have been sent from San Diego County in California, USA... (Nice people, huh? :D )
-The most beautiful place I've been sent a postal code from is in Queenstown, New Zealand... Seriously guys, Google it!

I hope this blog will be fun for you guys and that you enjoy checking through my progress :)

Also, here's a link to the map, and to tables and achievements.

2 comments:

  1. You have provided very good information, and people get useful benefits from reading about such information. Thank you so much for this
    Tema Stamps

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see the hard work done by the blog owner. Keep Posting such great things again. Looking forward for your next post.
    rohtak postal code

    ReplyDelete